Crossroads of Fate

The Armored Mage and the Chest-Bearer

Session 8

DM: So, you’ve just left Razael’s tent and the marketplace is starting to liven up. Where to?
Sent at 9:07 PM on Thursday
Rue: To Potago’s Scriptorium.
Sent at 9:08 PM on Thursday
DM: All right, you can arrive there without incident, Sand tagging at your heels. You see it is much busier now. There are many scribes seated at tables and others are lined up with a sort of wooden breastplate strapped to each of their chests. (Spot roll?)
Rue: (Eight)
Sent at 9:11 PM on Thursday
DM: OK. You see Potago giving some directions to scribes on the dais and Karivelle seems to be directing the activities of the lower level. What do you want to do.
Sent at 9:12 PM on Thursday
Rue: Not wanting to interrupt, Tanzi waits for an opportunity to approach Karivelle, unless it doesn’t look like that opportunity is likely to present itself soon.
Sent at 9:14 PM on Thursday
DM: After 10 minutes or so, it seems she’s pretty busy. How long do you wish to wait? The scribes in the line are quietly talking amongst themselves, seeming to be waiting for something too.
Sent at 9:16 PM on Thursday
Rue: Where are these scribes lined up?
Sent at 9:17 PM on Thursday
DM: Kind of starting in front of one side of the tent and then going in a line about 20 people long down the walkway between tents.
They seem mostly like younger people.
Rue: Tanzi sidles a little closer to the the line of scribes and tries to get a closer look at the wooden breastplates.
DM: (Spot roll?)
Rue: (Seventeen)
DM: You see it is hinged on the bottom, such that it can fold down with the loosening of straps, like a tray that would stick out about waist-high.
Sent at 9:21 PM on Thursday
Rue: Tanzi looks towards the dais again to see if Potago is still busy. Whether he is or not, she approaches one of the scribes on the walkway, and asks, “Are you here with a commission or seeking gainful employment?”
Sent at 9:24 PM on Thursday
DM: Potago is actually scribing himself at this moment. He stopped bellowing.
Sent at 9:26 PM on Thursday
DM: The last scribe in line turns to you. He is a light-brown skinned young man with dark hair. “Huh? I work for Potago. You have to start outside. The kapikula should be here soon. I hope I don’t get livestock again.”
Rue: “Why?”
DM: “Because I don’t fancy standing in turds all day with a stench that stays with you for a week, that’s why.”
Sent at 9:30 PM on Thursday
DM: You see some of the city administrators approaching from the government building, in their yellow robes and low conical hats.
Sent at 9:32 PM on Thursday
Rue: Tanzi frowns at the distasteful image and nods. “Good luck.” She steps away before the kapikula arrive and watches the process for no more than five minutes.
Sent at 9:34 PM on Thursday
DM: The kapikula look a bit harried as they approach and talk amongst themselves but on seeing the scribes, they straighten up and act commanding. “Treasury,” says one. “I need two.” At that the first scribe in line says, “Aye.” The second passes and the choice seems to defer down the line. The fourth says “Aye,” and they take off after the kapikula.
Sent at 9:37 PM on Thursday
Rue: Tanzi addresses Sand. “Being a very patient sort of person, I’m inclined to wait here until, oh, until most of the people clear out.” She makes a vague gesture in the direction of the scribes. “What are your thoughts, my friend?”
DM: “What does Z wait for? To do work?”
Rue: “To ask if I’m allowed to work.”
“Though, it doesn’t sound all that exciting.”
DM: Another kapikula calls out “Courts. Just one.” The scribe now first in line claims it. The calls go out for “Taxes, Spices, Jewels.”
Rue: “Oh, wait. Hmm.”
Sent at 9:44 PM on Thursday
DM: “This one thinks that work is running out. Line is shorter.” True, there are only about 12 scribes in line now as the rest have gone off after this batch of kapikula. More of them are arriving soon.
Rue: “I don’t think I can just jump in line. This isn’t hopscotch.”
DM: “Hop..?”
Sent at 9:47 PM on Thursday
Rue: “It’s a game. Anyway, I think after this group of officials goes, it will be time for me to…” she sighs. “To beg for a job.”
Sent at 9:49 PM on Thursday
DM: The next group of officials arrives and calls out things like “Leather, Slaves, Lumber, Textiles.”
Sent at 10:03 PM on Thursday
DM: They depart and there are only 4 scribes left in line. While you were watching, a short heavyset girl came up and approached Karrivelle who scolded her and then pointed her towards a small stack of the wooden breastplates, pens, scrolls of paper, and vials of ink and pens which the girl hurries to gather and then she gets in line behind the young man you’d spoken to.
Sent at 10:06 PM on Thursday
Rue: Tanzi looks towards the stack, her expression a mixture of agony and indecision. Then she strides quickly towards Kavrielle and speaks twice as quickly, “Potago offered me employment here, a startling offer which I would now be honored to accept, if the offer is still open.”
Sent at 10:09 PM on Thursday
DM: Karivelle scans you up and down then nods. “You’ll be on your feet. If the work is good, then you can move to the tent here. If exceptional, you may be on the dais. You can’t carry that chest around. Go and fetch a scribe-board and tools there. And wear this…” She tosses you a grey apron like the other scribes have.
Sent at 10:13 PM on Thursday
Rue: Tanzi catches the apron and jogs over to Sand.

(I think Sand still has the chest. Tanzi hasn’t asked for it back yet from when she was carrying the cat.)
Sent at 10:15 PM on Thursday
DM: (We’ll say he had foisted it back onto you. He likes to keep his arms free for battle!)
Rue: (Sounds good. Hmm.)
Sent at 10:16 PM on Thursday
Rue: “Sand?” Tanzi asks. She smiles. “I’m hired. I’ll be wearing armor for the first time ever.” She tilts her head in indication of the scribe’s get-up. “What are your plans today?”
DM: He looks taken aback. “This one will go with Z.”
Sent at 10:19 PM on Thursday
Rue: “Hmm. Okay. I’m sure that won’t be a problem.” Tanzi frowns sadly. “I know you need to be able to shake your spear at a moment’s notice, but would you mind carrying this just for a little bit longer?” Tanzi smiles imploringly and hefts her box a little higher. “I’m sure I’ll find somewhere to store it tonight.”
DM: He reluctantly takes up the box again.
Sent at 10:23 PM on Thursday
Rue: “Thanks!” Tanzi takes the scribe-board and tools, then takes her place at the end of the line.
DM: You put on the apron too?
Rue: Yes.
DM: Make a Willpower save.
just kidding
Rue: Ha. Good.
But that would be the way to do it.
Sent at 10:27 PM on Thursday
DM: “Z!” calls Karivelle. “No, you’ll have to shadow at least one day. Who’ll take her?” She addresses this to the remaining scribes in line.
The one who is first now says, “I’ll take ‘er under my wing, Miss K.” The voice is familiar.
“Thank you, Teweg,” she answers. “Unusually generous of you.”
Rue: Tanzi adopts a pleasant expression.
Sent at 10:30 PM on Thursday
DM: “Izzer slave boy gonna follow us around? That’ll be a bother,” says Twig, now removing the hood which had hidden his features and leering at you.
Sent at 10:31 PM on Thursday
Rue: “My ferocious bodyguard? I’m sure his constant proximity will be a boon and not a bother. I’m pleased to see you again, Teweg.” She pronounces his name carefully.
Sent at 10:33 PM on Thursday
DM: “Too much talking!” bellows Potago from his perch, seemingly not looking up from his work. “Teweg, you’re lucky to still have a job after your ‘sabbatical’ yesterday. And new girl, mind your superiors.”
Rue: “Sir,” she acknowledges.
Sent at 10:35 PM on Thursday
DM: “He can act as a runner,” says Karivelle gently. “Boy, you can leave that chest here if you like. It will be safe.”
Sent at 10:37 PM on Thursday
DM: Sand looks at you.
Rue: Tanzi nods and smiles, certain that Sand will be relieved to leave the chest.
Sent at 10:39 PM on Thursday
DM: He puts it behind the tables, with the disdain of a husband carrying a wife’s shopping parcels. A melancholy kapkula is approaching, with his robes tucked into high boots. The young dark man turns and chuckles at the heavy girl behind him.
Sent at 10:41 PM on Thursday
DM: “Livestock,” calls the administrator without enthusiasm.
“Yehr, we’ll take it,” says Twig, surprising the other scribes.
Sent at 10:44 PM on Thursday
Rue: “Interesting,” Tanzi says.
DM: If the kapikula was surprised, he didn’t show it. He nods resignedly and trudges off towards the western gate.
“Come on,” hisses Twig.
Sent at 10:46 PM on Thursday
Rue: Tanzi copies the kapikula, and hasitly tucks her pants into her boots. Then she follows.
Sent at 10:47 PM on Thursday
DM: Twig walks at your side. “That ain’t gonna help. Hope you like horses,” he mutters under his breath, laughing.
Sent at 10:49 PM on Thursday
Rue: “I do. I am surprised at your choice, but not discomfited.”
“Are you angry with me, Twig? You were so friendly yesterday.”
Sent at 10:50 PM on Thursday
DM: He stops gloating at this and his features harden. “Put your board on. You’re gonna wish you never crossed me.” He then increases his pace to keep ahead of you.
Sent at 10:53 PM on Thursday
Rue: Tanzi puts on the board. Is there anyway to arrange access to her spell pouch?
Sent at 10:55 PM on Thursday
DM: Yes, with some maneuvering. The apron has pockets for the pen and ink. The board takes you some time to figure out all the straps the right way. Sand seems to find it all amusing.
Sent at 10:57 PM on Thursday
Rue: Tanzi stops wrestling with the straps long enough to primly inform Sand that, “This isn’t funny. Everything’s in a kink now.”
Once she’s outfitted, she walks super quickly to catch up.
DM: “Z wears a saddle,” comments Sand, wittily.
Rue: Tanzi whinnies like a horse. “Ha.”
Sent at 11:00 PM on Thursday
DM: It’s easy enough to catch up as the gloomy kapikula walks slowly. You wind through some streets and exit out the gate again. Turning to the north side of the tent town, you see many large paddocks with lots of horses, camels, cattle, sheep, goats, and hogs.
“More goats,” comments Sand.
Rue: “I think the baby ones are cute. We could have been assigned to something much worse – textiles.”

Comments

thorne thorne

I'm sorry, but we no longer support this web browser. Please upgrade your browser or install Chrome or Firefox to enjoy the full functionality of this site.